We believe in Europe’s future - but only shaped by startups
Frontrunners Alliance is an independent voluntary coalition.
Our main goal is to strengthen the framework and conditions for European entrepreneurs to thrive and achieve their dreams in dialogue with D9+ Governments.
The network will meet virtually 2-4 times a year for an exchange of views, experiences and new initiatives aimed at improving the conditions for startups in Europe.
The network is structured, setting agendas and responding to issues and debate.
We aim at having a representative from each of the D9+ national startup organisations.
Several organisations from the same country can be members.
Peter Kofler, Coordinator
We are Frontrunners
The world has never seen so many opportunities unfold. New technology can empower us on so many different levels, from combating climate change to compensating people with disabilities. But with all new things, we need to learn and adapt our rulebook.
We fully embrace a balanced discussion of how to tackle the various dilemmas in relation to technology, society and our values. We also believe that if Europeans are to determine our future, we need to grasp opportunities and be curious. China and the US are moving forward as we slip down key ranking tables. Europe needs to lead, not trail.
We have increasingly found that new EU regulations, often aimed admirably at safeguarding the rights of users and society in relation to technology, often have unforeseen consequences on startups, whose innovations contribute positively on so many levels (economic, social and environmental). We also recognise that we have a historic chance to enter a new era of collaboration between Europe and America.
As startups, we acknowledge the impact of a number of EU members in relation to startups and as the national representative organisations in these countries, we are coming together with a shared voice (D9+).
Our ambition is to make Europe the leading startup continent. The importance of innovation and technology has become more evident in light of Covid-19, while startups businesses are very much central to Europe’s green economic recovery.
1. We are coming together as a group with the aim of engaging collaboratively and constructively to help the startup sector in Europe and to ensure it becomes a global leader in terms of innovation, employment and exports.
2. Startups and technology are ever changing. We ask for flexible and agile legislation to facilitate innovation and growth which benefit both the individual and society.
3. We need to make sure that any legislation works as intended. We ask for agile and evidence-based legislation.
4. When considering legislation, there needs to be consideration of the ‘opportunity cost’. It is important that there is an early assessment of the impact of planned legislation on startups and scale-ups to complement the SME test in EU policy-making.
5. Startups spend money and time on innovation. Additional administrative requirements will force startups to divert resources from what they do best: Innovate. We ask for proportionality, not one size fits all legislation.
5. Scaling to new regulatory frameworks is costly for startups. We ask for a final push to complete the Single Digital Market in the EU and to improve access to third countries
6. We ask politicians and policy makers to have a positive vision for Europe’s future
7. Policy makers and startups exist in different worlds. We ask for constructive and mutually beneficial dialogue and particularly before, during and after any legislative process to assess the impact on innovation.
8. For startups, capital and competences are like oxygen. We are seeking strong incentives for people to invest in and work for startups in Europe from across the world
9. Startups are conscious about their role and responsibilities in society. We want to make a positive change in the world and this needs to be recognised.
Frontrunners Alliance is an independent voluntary coalition. Our main goal is to strengthen the framework and conditions for European entrepreneurs to thrive and achieve their dreams in dialogue with D9+ Governments.